The Watkins Glen Chamber of Commerce is seeking applications to paint a mural on the southeast side of the Chamber’s Information Center at 214 N. Franklin Street. When completed, the mural should assist in attracting visitors to Watkins Glen, Schuyler County, and the Finger Lakes (Wine Country). Finished size should be between 150- and 200-square feet. The applicant selected to create the mural will receive $2,700 (inclusive of labor and supplies), presented by the ARTS Council of the Southern Finger Lakes. Applications should be submitted to the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce by April 15, 2021. The winning artist will be notified by April 22, 2021, and expected to commence work on or before April 24, 2021. The mural must be completed by May 15, 2021.
To be considered, please submit the following:
- Portfolio of previous work
- Sketch of proposed mural that supports the mural’s theme: Farm Country’s Farm Friends
Submissions can be sent to the Chamber (214 N Franklin Street, Watkins Glen, NY 14891) or emailed to email@example.com.
Preference will be given to local artists. Submissions will be judged on the following:
- Artistic merit of the design
- Appropriateness of the design for the location, including the scale, content, color and design in relation to the site
- Concept promotes the theme (Farm Country’s Farm Friends Mural) and incorporates winged creatures (e.g., butterflies, birds, bees, dragonflies, and/or bats) with patterns made from local attractions (e.g., forest, park, lake, cars, grapes, crops, farm animals
- Concept incorporates opportunity for selfies
- Artist’s qualifications
- Originality of the design
The selected artist will be expected to prime the surface, paint the mural using acrylic, exterior paint, and protect the mural against weatherization.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.