The Finger Lakes region made the top 10 – from regions across the nation – for the best Fall Foliage in a USA Today 10Best competition that just ended today! It’s time to make plans to visit the Finger Lakes. The air is crisp. The sky is blue with big puffy white clouds. And the leaves are starting to turn. This gives you time to plan a leaf-peeping trip to our region. Watch online for weekly pictures that show the changing leaf colors.
Looking for other reasons to visit our area? Consider these (and call ahead to understand reservation and pandemic-related requirements):
- It’s affordable! A trip to the Finger Lakes is among the most affordable getaways on the market. Your budget will go far here, so instead of worry about making your money last, you can focus on making memories!
- We’re easy to get to! We’re within a 5-hour drive of 25% of the U.S. population! We’re thirty minutes from Elmira Corning Regional Airport and just over an hour southeast of the Greater Rochester International Airport. Whether you arrive by train, plane, or automobile, your vacation time will go further here because you won’t spend all your time getting here!
- SO. MANY. WATERFALLS! You’ll be hard-pressed to find more waterfalls in one vacation than we have here in Schuyler County. With 19 alone on the Gorge Trail at Watkins Glen State Park (which is open at least through October), you will want to have your camera ready during your visit! Outside of the state park, you’ll want to hit the roadside falls, including Shequaga Falls and Aunt Sarah’s Falls – easy to find and accessible. A little hiking gets you to Excelsior Glen, Eagle Cliff Falls in Havana Glen Park, Twin Falls in Sugar Hill State Forest, plus a number of other falls throughout Finger Lakes National Forest.
- Family-friendly fun! If you’re bringing the family, there is no shortage of activities for every age. Reserve your seat on one of Captain Bill’s boats for a tour of Seneca Lake. Book a fishing excursion with an expert outfitter. Take everyone for a picnic at Clute Park. Get up close and personal with rescued farm animals at one of the largest farm sanctuaries in the country. Everyone in your family will find a new favorite thing here.
- A haven for wine and food lovers! It’s no secret that the wines from Seneca Lake can stand alongside the best wines in the world. Our Rieslings are renowned, but it doesn’t stop with wine. Craft breweries and craft distilleries offer samples and sales in their tasting rooms as well, offering luscious libations for every palate.
- An excuse to do nothing at all! With so many of us feeling frazzled by daily life – we could all use the chance to slow down and put our feet up. Cozy up in a local bed and breakfast, sip some wine or cocoa around a campfire, or dangle your toes off the dock, and forget about the world for a while.