Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies
A ribbon cutting is the ceremonial opening of a brand-new or newly renovated/relocated business. You must be a current Chamber member in good standing for the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce to organize or participate in your ribbon cutting. Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies typically last 1 hour and are free for Chamber members.
By hosting a ribbon cutting, you can:
- Introduce Chamber members and/or the public and others to your business.
- Announce your ribbon cutting on the Chamber’s Community Calendar (this is optional as the public will be able to view and attend)
- Receive free publicity in the weekly Chamber e-newsletter, “News, Happenings, and Collaborations.”
- Familiarize the public and Chamber members with your products/services.
- Develop a new customer base or strengthen your existing base.
The Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce will:
- Provide promotion of event in Chamber communications materials.
- Send a press release to the media. Media attendance is not guaranteed.
- Notify local officials on your behalf if desired.
- List your ribbon cutting on the Chamber’s online calendar. This is optional and only suggested if you'd like the public to attend.
- Assist with posting on Member-to-Member Bulletin Board.
- Create a Facebook Event for the ceremony if desired.
- Help you secure speakers for the event.
- Help secure a Chamber member winery or craft beverage to pour for the event.
- Bring the scissors, ribbon and PA system. Please have access to an outlet.
While The Chamber will assist with the ribbon cutting, we strongly encourage you to conduct your own PR campaign to increase attendance and awareness of the event. Please understand that you should not rely solely on The Chamber to attract your audience and that The Chamber cannot guarantee media attendance.
Additional Scheduling Information:
- Ribbon cutting ceremonies must take place on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.
- We offer two time slots for Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies. A morning slot from 10 AM to 11 AM and an afternoon slot from 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM. The morning is best if you're hoping to invite media to the event. The afternoon slot is best for public attendance if that is what you're looking for.
You will need to:
- Provide a location. Parking should be considered.
- Provide non-alcoholic drinks and snacks. It is a great idea to theme your refreshments with your business and we are happy to help you brainstorm ideas.
- Discuss event and business with Stephanie Specchio, The Chamber Director of Communications and Marketing. She will talk to you for a bit and prepare information for a press release.
- Identify a wish-list of speakers.
- Identify a winery/craft beverage establishment that you'd like to attend and provide tastings. We will only reach out to wineries/breweries that are Chamber Members-if you are unsure, please reference the Business Directory or call us at 607-535-4300.
To schedule your ribbon cutting, please complete the form below. Once this information is received, we will check the availability of your date and time. Ribbon cuttings are reserved for Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce Members only. A minimum of two weeks notice is required to schedule your celebration ceremony.