Tourism Assistance Program Funding
Information and Application Materials
The Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce (the Chamber), being a duly incorporated business with its principal place of business being located at 214 N. Franklin Street, Village of Watkins Glen, Schuyler County, State of New York, is designated by the Schuyler County Legislature as its Tourist Promotion Agency (TPA) to represent the County of Schuyler under the present New York State Tourist Promotion Act.
The Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce is a 501(c) (6) organization engaged in promoting and publicizing the County of Schuyler and the general area in and around the Village of Watkins Glen. The Chamber has been designated by the Schuyler County Legislature as the Schuyler County tourism representative to provide tourism promotion on behalf of Schuyler County.
As the County’s TPA, the Chamber supports and promotes the County through an identified marketing plan. Our tourism marketing plan includes, but is not limited to the following: design, production, and distribution of an annual Travel Guide; cooperative interaction with and participation in regional programs; public relations; travel writer hosting; a robust social media presence and much more!
The Chamber is given the absolute right and responsibility to allocate funding on behalf of the County and act in the County’s best interest regarding overall tourism promotion. This includes supporting marketing activities that add to the welfare of the County; supporting organizations that promote tourism to the County; and working with regional partners to bring growth to the County.
The Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce creates an annual tourism budget and allocates dollars to existing tourism programs and efforts with in-house projects and anchor partners as a primary task. Up to 75% of the funding will be used for anchor programming and funding qualified organizations and projects that support its strategic tourism plan. Established anchor partners are designated by the Chamber and currently include I Love NY, Finger Lakes Regional Tourism Council (FLRTC), and Finger Lakes Wine Country Marketing & Tourism Association (FLWC) and others. Up to 25% of the funding will be used to fund the Chamber’s Tourism Assistance Program (TAP).
Applicants for funding will be required to file an annual application which must be submitted to the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce. Each recipient’s project must meet the eligibility requirements outlined in this document in order to be considered for funding. Each applicant must additionally supply matching resources of their own towards their request, demonstrating that they can financially support the purpose of their project, and can complete it in its entirety through funding from the Chamber.
It is the mission of the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce to advance economic vitality by providing promotion, education, and support for our members and community.
The Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce will accept funding applications that support and encourage tourism promotion in Schuyler County, New York. The source of dollars from which projects will be funded is the County’s share of taxes collected on overnight stays within the County (lodging receipts).
The following application is for the 2022 funding period. The application process will be open from September 7, 2021, and close on October 8, 2021.
Beginning September 7, 2021, application forms will be available at the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce, 214 N. Franklin Street, Watkins Glen, NY 14891. The form can be emailed to applicants by contacting Michael J. Hardy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step One: Funding Applications must be completed in their entirety and submitted to Michael Hardy at the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce no later than 12:00 p.m. on October 8, 2021. Any questions concerning the application process may be directed to Michael at 607-535-4300.
Step Two: All Funding Applications will be reviewed by the TAP Committee. The Tourism Assistance Program (TAP) Committee is comprised of the following: the Chair of the Chamber’s board of directors, two members of the Chamber’s board of directors, the Schuyler County Administrator, the Chair of the Schuyler County Legislature, two members of the Schuyler County legislature, the Executive Director (Exec.) of the Chamber, and the Tourism/Marketing Manager of the Chamber (or alternate staff/member Exec. Designee).
Applicants may be asked to present a ten-minute (not to exceed) presentation to the committee. If needed, a specific date and time will be announced for this presentation. The final funding decisions will be made by the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce TAP Committee.
- Please submit the original application and three (3) copies of your application. Applications must be mailed or delivered to the staff of the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Please DO NOT double-side your application and please DO NOT use any other paper size than 81/2” x 11”.
- Application covers are discouraged; they only cost you extra money and we have to strip them off anyway.
- Faxed or emailed applications will not be accepted.
- Funds are paid on a reimbursement basis. Organizations must first incur the expenses and then request reimbursement from the Chamber. First reimbursement checks are not issued until October 31, 2022.
- The TAP committee may review and appropriate funding at other times of the year at their discretion on a case-by-case basis for special projects.
- Copy of state certificate of non-profit incorporation and/or Federal 501 (c) 3 or 501 (c) 6 letter (if applicable).
- Copy of meeting minutes showing official approval of project and authorizing application.
- Must be a member of the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce in good standing.
- Must not be in competition with the Chamber and its mission.
- Must be in and/or directly service Schuyler County. All programs applied for must have a direct impact on tourism promotion in Schuyler County.
- Must generate increased tourism in Schuyler County resulting in areas such as: increased overnight stays at local lodging establishments and/or generate economic benefit through overnight lodging, sale of meals and goods, and/or increase recognition of Schuyler County throughout the region as a destination for tourism and/or increase opportunities for tourism by developing new visitor activities.
Each recipient will be notified in writing on or around October 29, 2021, regarding their funding or non- funding status.
- If awarded, you will be required to submit quarterly reports to the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce stating your progress and accomplishments. Quarterly reports must include the following documentation: copies of invoices associated with each line item and copies of cleared checks showing proof of paying invoices in advance.
- A quarterly worksheet will be provided to funding recipients. This document will be reviewed and used as a tool to monitor your original project, program budget and timeline.
- Three copies of all quarterly reports and supporting documentation must be mailed to or delivered to the Watkins Glen Area Chamber.
- Reports are due 30 days after the end of each quarter. If reports are not submitted within 30 days of the end of each quarter, funding may be withheld.
For a hard copy of the application, email or call (607-535-4300) Katherine Jack at the Chamber during normal business hours.